In just one week we will be seeing you at 2019 IIUG World in sunny Redondo Beach, California. The Planning Committee is all ready for the onslaught of Informix people to SoCal and wanted to share important information with you, so on with the news:
1) You can now download the 2019 Official IIUG Guide at www.iiug.org/iiugworld/guide.pdf.
Trying to be green and not kill any trees, we decided once again to put the guide online so all could have a copy of it to read on their airplane flight to LAX or Santa Barbara.
2) The interactive schedule is also available in a special smart phone and/or tablet format. You can get that here www.iiug.org/mobile
and, of course, this is still subject to change. The schedule will be updated before Monday and ongoing throughout the conference as needed. New this year, download the Sched app to view sessions and use Sched to set-up your scheudule for the week. Enter IIUG World for your meeting. Let us know what you think.
3) On-site registration will be open from 5:00PM to 8:00PM on Sunday, 7:30AM to 7:00PM on Monday, and 7:30AM to 1:00PM on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Stop by the registration desk to pick up your conference badge, which must be worn at all times in the conference area.
4) The Sunday night Welcome Reception will start at 7:00PM and run til about 10:00PM. Please come hungry as we ordered a lot of food. Casino Night returns once again due to popular demand, and will be Tuesday night from 6:00PM – 10:00PM
5) Speaking of fees: every year there is someone who asks: Are you sure the Internet in the hotel guest rooms is included?? YES IT IS. All IN HOTEL GUEST ROOM INTERNET IS INCLUDED WITH YOUR ROOM CHARGE. When you log onto the internet from your hotel room it will say something like « Internet is $12.95 a day plus tax and this includes all local and long distance phone calls from your hotel room. » Now here is the scoop. The internet IS INCLUDED at no extra cost from with your room (even though it says there will be a $12.95 fee – you will NOT BE CHARGED the fee for internet use), but we don’t think it includes the phone package or the Premium package (Premium is of course free to Gold and Platinum Marriott members in accordance with the Marriott Rewards program). So, phone calls MIGHT be an extra fee!! Please check with the hotel front desk if you plan on using the phone!!!
In the meeting room area, there is also FREE Wi-Fi internet. We will have all the details of the SSID and if there are any special codes you will need at the Registration desk for internet use around the conference area. PLEASE, PLEASE don’t sit in a session banging on your keyboard during the presentation. Other attendees are there to listen and learn. Also, remember to set cell phones to silent or vibrate during sessions.
6) Food: Your conference fee includes all meals starting with Sunday evening Welcome Reception through Wednesday lunch (including some beverages). Monday and Wednesday evening are « open nights » so we suggest you check out the area, including the beach areas. There are many great restaurants and places to check out. Check with the hotel front desk for more local information. Also, food is included for Thursday breakfast and lunch for ONLY those who receive the Tutorial Package which is included for all PAID attendees. Those who wish to add the Tutorials can do so before the close of Tuesday’s events for a nominal fee at the Registration Desk.
7) There are three airports near the Conference hotel. We have some information on costs to from each:
- Los Angeles International Airport(LAX), which is 10 miles North of the hotel. Taxi fare is estimated to be $40.
- Long Beach Airport (LGB), which is 16 miles East of the hotel. Estimated taxi fare is $35.
- John Wayne Airport – Orange County (SNA), which is 35 miles Southeast of the hotel. Estimated taxi fare is $117.
Uber and Lyft are also avallable and estimated to be about $30 per fare.
Finally, we, the IIUG World 2019 planning committee: John Fahey, Rhonda Hackenburg, Cindy Lichtenauer, David Link, Donna Miller, Bruce Simms, Kernoal Stephens, and from IBM/HCL: Karen Qualley, Stuart Litel, Milind Tamaskar, Rajesh Govindan and Shawn Moe want to welcome you and look forward to seeing you at this year’s exciting IIUG World. We can’t wait to see you there!
Any questions just drop the conference team an email at firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
and remember to download your guide using the link above. (and thanks Rhonda for another amazing job on the guide). Another shout-out to David for all of his hard work on the schedule grid!